Materials for Parents
Parents know their child best. This worksheet helps parents introduce important information to their child’s new teacher.
School Readiness Library
These books can help prepare your child for school:
- The Bus for Us by Suzanne Bloom
- Franklin Goes to School by Paulette Bourgeois
- Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come by Nancy Carlson
- Will I Have a Friend? by Miriam Cohen
- Tiptoe Into Kindergarten by Jacqueline Rogers
- Wembley Worried by Kevin Henkes
- Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph Slate
- The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
- Welcome to Kindergarten by Anne Rockwell
- Off To Kindergarten by Tony Johnston
- The Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha Wing
- Kindergarten Rocks! by Katie Davis
- Countdown to Kindergarten by Allison McGhee
- Going to School by Anne Civardi
- The Berenstain Bears Go to School by Stan & Jan Berenstain
- Little Critter: First Day of School by Mercer Mayer
Lenawee Great Start has partnered with the Lenawee Cradle to Career initiative to develop activity cards that offer enjoyable, affordable, and easy ways to help your child prepare for kindergarten. We have gathered information from the Brigance Screener, a measurement tool used across the county to determine Kindergarten readiness, as well as from parents, caregivers and educators that attended our School Readiness work group.
If you need more ideas and activities to help prepare your child for Kindergarten, check out our FREE Activity Cards on Pinterest. By doing just a few of these activities each day with your child, you are helping to make sure that he/she is getting a Great Start and will be prepared for kindergarten.
Developed by educational researchers, Ready4K is an evidence-based text messaging program for parents of children from birth to 3rd grade, provided at no cost. Each week, you will receive fun facts and easy tips to boost your child’s learning. Ready4K activities build on the things that you already do with your child -- like getting your child dressed, meal time, and bath time -- to make boosting your child’s learning fast, fun, and easy. The research behind Ready4K shows that receiving fun facts and easy tips can significantly increase children’s learning. Learn more about Ready4K or sign up today.
What to Expect for Registration - What to Bring, How to Enroll
Here is what you need to register your child for kindergarten:
- Proof of Residency – a utility bill or a copy of your lease agreement or mortgage documents. A driver's license is not accepted.
- Birth Certificate – You will need an official, certified copy of your child’s birth certificate. If your child was born in Lenawee County you can obtain an official copy at the County Clerk's Office. This office is located on the 2nd floor of the old courthouse at 301 N Main Street, Adrian, Michigan. A certified copy will cost $16 and additional copies are $6 each. This office only accepts cash or check.
If your child was not born in Lenawee County, or if you would rather order online at your convenience, you can obtain a certified birth certificate through the VitalChek Records website. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for this service, but all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa.
- Immunizations – You will need your child’s immunization records to register them for school, child care, athletic teams, and summer camps or to travel. Keeping up-to-date immunization records for your family, especially your children, is important. Learn more on the CDC's children immunization webpage.
- Vision and Hearing Screening – Michigan law requires children have a vision and hearing screening before starting Kindergarten. Many of the Kindergarten Registration programs will provide these. You can also make arrangements directly with the Health Department by calling 517.264.5226.
Lenawee School Information
Find Your District
Elementary Schools in Lenawee County
- Addison Elementary School
219 N. Comstock, Addison, MI 49220
- Adrian Public Schools
- Blissfield Elementary School
640 S. Lane St, Blissfield, MI 49228
- Britton Deerfield Schools
- Britton Building
201 College Ave, Britton, MI 49229
- Deerfield Building
252 Deerfield Rd, Deerfield, MI 49238
- Britton Building
- Clinton Elementary School
200 East Franklin St, Clinton, MI 49236
- Hudson Area Schools
Lincoln Elementary School
746 N. Maple Grove Ave, Hudson, MI 49247
- Madison Elementary School
3498 Treat Hwy, Adrian, MI 49221
- Morenci Elementary School
517 E. Locust St, Morenci, MI 49256
- Onsted Elementary School
10109 Slee Rd, Onsted, MI 49265
- Sand Creek Community Schools
Ruth McGregor Elementary School
6518 Sand Creek Hwy, Sand Creek, MI 49279
- Tecumseh Public Schools
Private schools are also an option in Lenawee County, however they are tuition-based. To find out more information, please contact the individual schools.