April is Child Abuse Prevention Month

If you are not aware April is Child Abuse Awareness month. This month we reflect on an epidemic that has not only plagued our nation, our state, but also our county, and city. The Lenawee County Child Advocacy Center located in Adrian Michigan works to prevent and treat abuse of children.

In 2020 the Lenawee CAC conducted a total of 246 interviews of children. 98% of these interviews were of children who had been sexually abused the other 2% were children of severe physical abuse and witness to violent crimes. I share these statistics to shed light on what is taking place in our own communities. This month is not only to educate on this serious topic but also to share hope and empowerment to those children who have suffered abuse. We must take the time to have these much-needed conversations with our children and work diligently to see prevention work happening in our schools and communities. Each and everyone of you reading this has the power to make a difference in our children’s lives. We have a saying it goes “if you see something say something”. You never know how you could be helping a child. Let this month be a time of reflection and a time to

Consider placing a blue ribbon or pinwheel on your front porch or in your yard in support of preventing child abuse.  If you have questions or would like more information on what we do here at the Lenawee CAC please reach out to us a adavis@catholiccharitiesjlhc.org.

Amanda Davis Scott MS, MA, LPC, CAADC

Lenawee County Child Advocacy Center

Program Director

adavis@catholichcharitiesjlhc.org

(517)-662-3442 ext.1201

Catholic Charities of Jackson, Lenawee & Hillsdale Counties

Providing Help. Creating Hope.

www.CatholicCharitiesJLHC.org

 

 


Amanda Davis-Scott MS, MA, LPC, CAADC: Amanda is the Program Director for the Lenawee County Child Advocacy Center. Amanda holds a Bachelor’s degree in family life education from Spring Arbor University, a Master’s degree in counseling also from Spring Arbor University, and a Master’s degree in criminal justice with a specialization in forensic psychology from Tiffin University. Amanda is passionate about trauma work and working to advocate and educate others about trauma, the importance of understanding what trauma is, and how it affects individuals and families.  Amanda serves on many boards and committees within our community, which include Great Start Readiness Board of Directors, Adrian Symphony Orchestra Board of Directors, H.E.R Refuge Board of Directors, and Zonta of Lenawee Board of Directors. She is also Co-Chair of the At Risk Services Collaborative, Co-Chair of the Lenawee County Trauma Clinicians Group, Chair of the Education Committee for the Adrian Symphony Orchestra, Member of the Counseling Committee through H.E.R Refuge, Member of the American Counseling Association, and a member of the National Association for Alcohol and Drug Addiction Counselors. Amanda lives in Adrian Michigan with her Husband James and their Twin Daughters Everleigh and Mirabelle.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *